The U.S. Department of State always has and will continue to prioritize the safety and security not only of participants in our own programs but of the more than 330,000 undergraduate and graduate students from across the United States who study abroad each year.
The U.S. Department of State has a variety of resources that students, parents, and administrators can access to help plan safe trips overseas.
- Read up on destination countries at travel.state.gov. Learn about visa requirements, local laws, customs, and medical care in the countries you are visiting.
- Use the traveler’s checklist to help you prepare for your time abroad.
- Sign up for our Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. You can receive travel and security updates about your destination, and it will help us contact you in an emergency.
- Higher education administrators can enroll in our free MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) to learn about best practices to ensure student health and safety.
- The Overseas Security Advisory Council (OSAC) promotes an open dialogue between the U.S. Government and the American private sector on security issues abroad and can be an excellent resource for higher education administrators.
USA Study Abroad is dedicated to helping more students study abroad in more destinations, but our first priority will always be student safety. Learn more about the safety and security resources we offer here.
Learn more about International Education Week and how you can become involved at www.iew.state.gov.