Programs for U.S. Institutions

Globalizing your school or university begins with improving your school’s capacity to host international students and send your students overseas. Learn more about grants and other resources for improving study abroad capacity.

Information For U.S. Institutions

  • Capacity-building Grants: to create and/or expand study abroad capacity through programs that increase participation for underrepresented student audiences, support new or expanded programs in non-traditional destinations or disciplines of study.
  • Study Abroad Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) offers training to administrators and faculty seeking to establish and/or expand upon best practices in building study abroad capacity at their U.S. institution.
  • 100,000 Strong in the Americas, was established to increase the number of U.S. students studying in the Western Hemisphere and the number of Western Hemisphere students studying in the United States. The Innovation Fund awards promote transnational institutional partnerships by leveraging private sector contributions and commitments by higher education institutions to increase unique study abroad opportunities for students going to and from the Western Hemisphere region.
  • The Undergraduate International Studies and Foreign Language (UISFL) Program provides grants for planning, developing, and implementing programs that strengthen undergraduate instruction in international studies and foreign languages.
  • The Centers for International Business Education (CIBE) Program provides funding to institutions of higher education or consortia of such institutions for curriculum development, research, and training on issues of importance to U.S. trade and competitiveness.
  • The Language Research Centers (LRC) Program provides grants for establishing, strengthening, and operating centers that serve as resources for improving the nation's capacity for teaching and learning foreign languages through teacher training, research, materials development, and dissemination projects.
  • The National Resource Centers (NRC) Program establishes, strengthens, and operates language and area studies centers that serve as national resources for international education. These centers teach at the undergraduate and graduate levels and conduct research focused on specific world regions, international studies, and the teaching of less commonly taught languages.
  • The Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad (GPA) Program provides grants for overseas projects in training, research, and curriculum development in modern foreign languages and area studies by teachers, students, and faculty engaged in a common endeavor. Grants are awarded to Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs), Nonprofit Organizations, or State Education Agencies (SEAs), which then distribute funds to participants who learn or teach modern foreign languages or area studies, including: K-12 teachers, post-secondary faculty, experienced education administrators, prospective teachers.